Rafik A. Goubran
Professor and Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Design
Current International Activities:
Engineering Education, IEEE Conference Committees
Academic Leadership Experience:
Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Design, Carleton University, 2007 - Present
Associate Professor of Computer Engineering, 1987 - 1990
Chair, Department of Systems and Computer Engineering, 1997-2000, 2001-2006
Acting Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Design, 2006
Chair, Council of Ontario Deans of Engineering, 2009-2011
Member, Research Ethics Board of the Ottawa Heart Institute, 2006-2009
Founding Director, Ottawa Carleton Institute for Biomedical Engineering (OCIBME), 2006-2009
Areas of Research:
Digital Signal Processing and its applications in audio processing and biomedical engineering.
Design of Smart indipendent living environments for senior
Selected Published Articles and Works:
Has Published over 170 Journal and Conference papers and 10 patents in these areas; supervised or co-supervised 17 Ph.D. and 54 Master's students.
- D. Townsend, M. Holzman, R. Goubran, M. Frize, F. Knoefel, "Relative Thresholding with Under Mattress Pressure Sensors to Detect Central Apnoea," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 60, no. 10, October 2011, pp. 3281-3289.
- Trevor Burton, Rafik Goubran, "A Generalized Proportionate Subband Adaptive Second-Order Volterra Filter for Acoustic Echo Cancellation in Changing Environments," IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, vol. 19, no. 8, August 2011, pp. 2364-2373.
- A. Arcelus, I. Veledar, R. Goubran, F. Knoefel, H. Sveistrup, M. Bilodeau, "Measurements of Sit-to-Stand Timing and Symmetry from Bed Pressure Sensors," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 60, no. 5, May 2011, pp. 1732-1740.
- D. Townsend, M. Holzman, R. Goubran, M. Frize, F. Knoefel, "Measurement of Torso Movement with Delay Mapping Using an Unobtrusive Pressure-Sensor Array," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vo. 60, no. 5, May 2011, pp. 1751-1760
- L. Ding, A. Radwan, M. S. El-Hennawey, R. A. Goubran, "Measurement of the Effects of Temporal Clipping on Speech Quality," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and measurement, volume 55, issue 4, August 2006, pp. 1197-1203.
Awards and Accomplishments:
Fellow, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Member, Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario
B. Sc. in Electronics and Communications Engineering, Cairo University, 1978
M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, Cairo University, 1981
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Department of Systems and Computer Engineering, Carleton University, 1987