Sarah A. Rajala
Dean, James Worth Bagley College of Engineering
Current International Activities:
Chair of GEDC,
Associate Editor, International Journal on Visual Communications and Image Representation, 1993 - 1996
Engineering Education, ASEE, IEEE, International Partnerships
Associate Editor: International Journal on Visual Communications and Image Representation, 1993-1996
Academic Leadership Experience:
President, American Society for Engineering Education, July 1st, 2008 - June 30th, 2009
President-Elect and member of the ASEE Board of Directors, 2007-2008
Member, ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission, Executive Committee, 2009-Present
Dean, College of Engineering, Mississippi State University, 2008 - 2013
Head, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mississippi State University, 2006 - 2008
Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Programs, College of Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2002 - 2006
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1996 - 2002
Areas of Research:
Electrical and Computer Engineering, Advanced Computing and Communication
Selected Published Articles and Works:
- J.E. Spurlin, S. A. Rajala, and J. P. Lavelle, Constructing and Sustaining Effective Assessment of Engineering Education, Stylus Publishing, LLC, 2007.
- S.A. Rajala, "Video Signal Processing," Handbook for Electrical Engineers: Circuits, Signals, and Speech and Image Processing," CRC Press, 3rd edition, 2006.
- Roger P. Rohrbach, Joni E. Spurlin, Kathy Mayberry and Sarah A. Rajala, "Engineering Computing as an Essential Component of Inquiry-guided Learning, approved for inclusion in, Teaching and Learning through Inquiry: A Guidebook for Institutions and Instructors, V. S. Lee (ed.), Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, 2004.
- Sarah, A. Rajala and Majid Rabbani, Visual and Communications and Image Processing 1998, Proceedings of the SPIE, Volume 3309, January, 1998.
- S.A. Rajala, "Beyond 2020: Preparing Engineers for the Future, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, pp. 1376 - 1383, May, 2012
- J. Wainwright, B. E. Endicott-Popovsky, and S. A. Rajala, "Alternative Approach to Assessing Military training for advanced placement into Engineering and Technology Programs, Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference and Exhibition, June, 2011.
Awards and Accomplishments:
Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2008
Fellow, American Society, for Engineering Education, 2007
Fellow, Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring, 2000
Educator Award, WEPAN, June, 2010
Educator of the Year, ASEE, Electrical and Computer Engineering Division, 2007
Outstanding Alumnus, Michigan Technological University, 2008
B.S. Electrical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, 1974
M.S. Electrical Engineering, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1977
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1979