Zeljko "Z" Torbica
Dean and Professor of Leonard C. Nelson College of Engineering and Sciences; West Virginia University Institute of Technology
Current International Activities:
GEDC Regular Member;
Project Management Journal, Member of the Editorial Board
Academic Leadership Experience:
Dean, Leonard C. Nelson College of Engineering and Sciences, WVA University Institute of Technology, August, 2012 - Present
Program Director and Associate Clinical Professor, Construction Management Program,
Goodwin College of Professional Studies, Drexel University, January, 2009 - August, 2012
Director of Development, Senior Project Manager
CABI Developers, Aventura, Florida, January, 2006 - November, 2008
Areas of Research:
Construction Engineering and Management
Selected Published Articles and Works:
- Torbica, Z. M. (2011) Conference Keynote Speech: "Construction Industry: In Need of Radical Transformation?" Sixth International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC-VI, "Construction Challenges in the New Decade," July 5-7, 2011, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Torbica, Z. M. and Rivera, J. M. (2005) "A Survey on Employee Satisfaction and Productivity in the A/E/C Industries." Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC III), Athens, Greece, September 15-17, 362-367.
- Ahmed, S. M. Sang, L. P. and Torbica, Z. M. (2003) "Use of Quality Function Deployment in Civil Engineering Capital Project Planning." Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 129, No. 4, July/August, 358-368
- Rigsby, L.D. and Torbica, Z. M. (2003) "Construction Foremen and Their Effect on Productivity Improvement." Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Construction in the 21st Century (CITC2003), Hong Kong, December 12-14, 182-188
- Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (2002) Closure to "Customer Satisfaction in Home Building." Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 128, No. 4, July/August, 358-368.
- Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (2001) "Customer Satisfaction in Home Building." Journal of Counstruction Engineering and Management, Vol. 127, No. 1, January/ February, 82-86.
- Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R.C. (2000) "HOMBSAT - An Instrument for Measuring Home - Buyer Satisfaction." Quality Management Journal, Volume 7th, Issue 4.
- Torbica, Z. M., and Stroh, R. C. (2000). "An Assessment Model for Quality Performance Control in Residential Construction." The American Professional Constructor, Vol. 24, No. 1, 37-41.
Awards and Accomplishments:
Faculty Service and Leadership Award, Drexel University (2011)
Senator, Faculty Senate, Drexel University (2011-2014)
CABI Recognition Award (2008)
Board of Examiners, Malkolm Baldridge National Quality Award, NIST (2005)
President, Montenegrin Cultural Society (2002-2004)
President's Recognition Award, University of Florida (1996)
The Honor Society of PHI KAPPA PHI
Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement and Excellence, University of Florida (1995)
Diploma Ing., University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, 1981-1986
Major: Structural Engineering
Graduate Studies in Construction Management, University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia, 1986-1988
Postgraduate study in Quality Surveying and Project Management,
Diploma, B Jupp & Partners, London, England, 1989
Ph.D., University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1992-1997
M. E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction (Cumulative GPA=4.0)
Certifications and Training:
Executive Program "High Impact Leadership," Colombia University, 2008
Executive Real Estate Management Program "Developing Future Leaders," Harvard University, 2007
Certified General Contractor (License #: CGC1508885), State of Florida
Certified Quality Engineer (CGE#35292)
Project Management Professional (PMP#53941)