Call for Leaders & Stakeholders for Annual GEDC-LATAM Meeting
GEDC-LATAM ANNUAL MEETING
Global Engineering Deans Council - Latin American Chapter
September 11 to 12, 2017
The Latin American Chapter of the Global Engineering Deans Council (GEDC-LATAM) calls together deans and main authorities from Latin American and Caribbean universities, colleges, high schools and technological institutes to join the Global Engineering Deans Council (GEDC).
GEDC-LATAM's mission is to encourage cooperative links among the different regions engineering deans, to concentrate them within the GEDC, and to promote the development of engineering education, research and community service throughout the region.
The main goals include:
- Providing a regional forum to share information, experiences, challenges and best practices in engineering programs management.
- Promoting cooperation among the deans from the region in curriculum development and innovation with industry and other engineering stakeholders.
- Building a network to support engineering deans who play a leadership role in the development of regional, national and international policies.
- Enthusiastically participating in the development and establishment of a regional standard quality system in engineering education.
The 2017 meeting will be hosted by the Buenos Aires Regional School of UTN Argentina. GEDC Executive Committee member, Guillermo Oliveto, serves as the dean at UTN Buenos Aires. Also, Furthermore, GEDC and IFEES leader, Miguel Angel Sosa, was selected as the President of GEDC-LATAM during the 2016 meeting in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.
The Buenos Aires meeting is the most recent in a series that have been held in Barranquilla (Colombia), Monterrey (Mexico), Quito (Ecuador), Viña del Mar (Chile), La Paz (Bolivia) and Cartagena de Indias (Colombia).
The Buenos Aires meeting will focus on Challenges of Engineering in Latin America. This theme was determined after analyzing all of the previous GEDC-LATAM meetings, the GEDC and GEDC-LATAM goals, the Cartagena de Indias meeting conclusions, the GEDC strategic plan discussions during WEEF-GEDC 2016 Seoul and the Grand Challenge Scholar Program (GCSP) of the USA National Academic of Engineering (NAE).
"Challenges of Engineering in Latin America" will work on: analyzing general engineering challenges and the issues that engineering schools must face to achieve them. The goals will consider the Cartagena de Indias 2016 agreement: "The Deans agree to promote cooperation between the schools, in order to develop engineering education, strengthen research and technology transfer, intensify industry links, and propose regional engineering public policies". The aim will concentrate on defining the engineering challenges in each country, throughout Latin America, at both levels, or as each member considers it appropriate without only focusing on is considered important in relation to the theme, but also on ideas taken from the agenda set at the VI Meeting in Cartagena de Indias.
In order to work on all of these topics, it has been suggested to compare the “United Nations Millennium Development Goals” and the “United Nations Sustainable Development Goals” to the Grand Challenge Scholar Program (GCSP) of the USA NAE. The tasks will be supported by information and research from the Ibero-American Association of Engineering Teaching Institutions (ASIBEI). Documents such as "Profile of the Ibero-American Engineer" and "Competences of the Iberoamerican Engineer" will be surely taken into account.
Another goal for the meeting will be to design cooperative projects related to the following topics:
- Research and development
- Curriculum development
- Technological development and transfer
- Regional integration policies
The VII Meeting will be divided into focus groups where Deans will have the opportunity to exchange ideas and experiences on issues based on the Cartagena de Indias agreement. Lectures, discussion panels, Engineering School meetings, and the Annual Assembly of GEDC-LATAM will be part of the agenda.
The VII GEDC LATAM Meeting will be held at Buenos Aires Regional School of UTN Argentina from 11 to 12 September 2017, just before the 1st Latin American Congress of Engineering (CLADI), which is organized by the Federal Council of Engineering Schools Deans of Argentina (CONFEDI). This event will take place in Paraná and Oro Verde cities, Entre Ríos, Argentina, from September 13 to 15, 2017.
Cartagena de Indias Agreement
- Pedro Aguilar, Dean of the Engineering School, Universidad de San Carlos, Guatemala.
- Jessenia Cárdenas Cobo, Academic and Research Vice-director, Universidad Estatal de Milagro, Ecuador.
- José Roberto Castilho Piqueira, Engineering School, Universidad de San Pablo, Brasil.
- María Teresa Garibay, Dean of Engineering School, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Argentina.
- Miguel Mejía, Dean of Engineering School, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Perú, Perú.
- Ximena Petit-Breuilh, Dean of Engineering School, Universidad Católica de Temuco, Chile.
- Alfonzo Reyes, Dean of Engineering School, Universidad de los Andes, Colombia.
- Justo Reyes, Dean of the Panama School, Universidad Marítima Internacional de Panamá, Panamá.
- DAEN Colonel Álvaro Ríos, Academic Director, Military School of Engineering, Bolivia.
- Hans Hoyer, GEDC Executive Secretary
Buenos Aires, host for the 2017 Annual Meeting, is pleased to invite all the Latin America Engineering Schools Deans to join GEDC-LATAM and to attend the different activities involved.